Monday, September 14, 2015

Cilantro-Lime Brown Rice


I have two great food loves in this world, carbs and anything Mexican. I am literally craving one or the other at any point in the day. Born and raised in Southern California and of Hispanic heritage, my love for tacos essentially runs in my blood. So, you can only imagine the elation I experienced upon trying my first Chipotle® burrito-- it was love at first bite.

However, I think we can all agree that their delicious burritos don't do our waistlines any favors, nor do their piled-high bowls. My solution: homemade cilantro-lime rice, portioned and topped with your favorite protein and salsa. I love preparing this tangy, lime-infused brown rice to serve as a quick but flavorful dinner side. I love adding some red onion, as well; it complements the flavor of the cilantro perfectly. This recipe is also very easy to include in a weekly meal prep; it stores great in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.



Cilantro-Lime Brown Rice 





Ingredients:

  • 2 cups short-grain, brown rice; cooked
  • 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped   
  • 1/2 cup red onion, chopped (optional)
  • 1 large lime
  • Salt, to taste                                                                            

Directions:        

  1. In large mixing bowl, combine cooked rice, cilantro, and 
  2. onion.
  3. Squeeze juice of lime into rice mixture, mix thoroughly. 
  4. Add salt to taste.
Top with grilled chicken, flank steak, or grilled bell peppers! 
Add plain greek yogurt, to serve as a low-fat, high protein substitute for sour cream. 

Per serving (1/2 cup): 0g fat, 26g carb, 2g fiber, 2g protein. 

2 comments:

Question? Suggestion? Or, just want to say hi? Submit all below!