Monday, September 21, 2015

Top 5 Things I Learned As a Fitness Newbie


1.     Put the scale away.
     Physics states that an object’s weight is the result of the force of gravity acting on an object; weight is not by any means representative of your worth, character, or value. The mass that each of us occupies on this earth is arbitrary. Don’t become fixated on a number that a scale produces. Apart from serving as a baseline figure, your weight should not be how you assess your progress. Unless you’re a competitor or athlete trying to make a weight class, weekly weigh-ins won’t do you any good. Instead, focus on what your body is telling you. Ask yourself, how do you feel in the morning, how are your workouts, what are your energy levels like throughout the day? Any of those variables are better progress indicators than your weight. Eat right, get moving, and rest; trust me, the weight will take care of itself.

2.     Stop saying, “I don’t have the time.”
     Believe me, I was the queen of excuses.  Being a full-time/pre-med student/student researcher/ health clinic coordinator/lab assistant in a long-term relationship, I could have written a book on how to get out of exercise & eating right. However, when life showed me that I needed to make a change, I was forced to toss out every excuse I ever had. And guess what? It worked. Once I abandoned my “I can’t” mentality, I started seeing changes. Now, I won’t lie to you and say it was easy for me to wake up for my 5 a.m. workouts, or stay up past midnight meal prepping after a day of class and work. No, those were some of the biggest challenges I faced, but the struggle was worth it.

3.     Don’t ever think “I can’t do that.”
     My father always told me, “Attitude is everything. If you want something to happen, it will. But if you don’t believe in it, it never will.” I carry that piece of advice with me at all times; it’s what has gotten to the places I have always wanted to be. Learn to trust yourself, be confident in who you are and who you want to be. No person or object can substitute your heart and mind; they are your greatest tools for success.

4.     Be your biggest cheerleader.
     The first time I completed a mile without stopping, I kid you not, I jumped off the treadmill and burst out into a happy dance. It was a couple months into my journey, and I was over the moon. Why so happy? It had been about 7 years since I had attempted any long-distance running; the last mile I ran was for track & cross-country, my sophomore year of high school. Now, I didn’t care that I looked insane, fist-pumping in the middle of my college gym; I was proud of myself. 
     Every time you reach a goal, take a bow, and praise yourself. Speak positively of yourself and your efforts. Cheer yourself on through a grueling workout. Take pride in your journey, and let your voice be the loudest of them all.

5.     It’s okay to ask for help.
     The day before my first ever weight training session, I spent 5 hours watching YouTube videos on basic lifts. Yes, 5 hours. In hindsight, this was probably not the best idea because at the end of those 5 hours, I couldn’t remember the difference between a bicep curl and tricep extension—lifting lingo overload. The next day, all of the tutorials and instructions from the night before became a huge blur. I sat on the leg press machine, pushed out a few reps, and walked right out. I felt so defeated. But, I learned a very important lesson that day; if you don’t know how to do something, just ask.
     The next trip I made to the weight room, I asked Michael to come along. He had already been lifting for several years, so he knew what he was doing. To be honest, I was a little embarrassed; I felt like a total newbie the entire time. My first attempt at a back squat resembled a newborn calf’s first steps. But, having him there gave me the confidence to try it again. And thanks to his pointers and immediate feedback, over time I was able perfect the lift; 6 months later, I set a PR of 175 lbs.  
     Yes, there are millions of articles, tutorials, and tips online, but nothing beats the advice and guidance of an actual perspective. If you have a question, don’t be afraid to ask it. Remember, everyone starts somewhere; all experts were once beginners.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question? Suggestion? Or, just want to say hi? Submit all below!